About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome. I'm a bride in Belfast who grew up on Father of the Bride and dreams of a wedding at the Plaza or an outdoor ceremony in a private home in Nantucket. I've big dreams and a little budget. So with this blog I hope to share with you how I'm trying to get a very personal, bespoke, luxurious wedding in Northern Ireland with a little budget squeezing and creativity. Or as I have come to see it a Vera Wang wedding on a Walmart budget.

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Something Old!

The tradition of wedding favours...was something I was going to cut out in favour of saving some money! BUT then I (a) had a cheap and chic idea that I really like and (b) really actually liked the meaning behind the original tradition of wedding favours. Wedding Favours used to be sugar cubes (as it was an expensive commodity), then sugar became sugared almonds, then the 80’s happened and we all eventually hated sugared bloody almonds as wedding favours. Well, the thing is that the 5 sugared almonds you traditionally got represented fertility, longevity, wealth, health and happiness and the bitterness of the almond and the sweetness of the sugar represent the bitter sweetness of a marriage. So back to modern day wedding favours. Here’s my idea...it’s a trend, particularly in America to have branded matchbooks to give out to guests with names and date of the wedding, well I’ve a different idea. On any trip to America I like to seek out old school diners and as a little souvenir usually try and nab a book of matches. Long story short, ebay (your best bridal department store) is full of bulk lots of vintage matchbooks from all the cities we visited on our trip, Las Vegas, LA, San Francisco and all the diners in between. So I think I’m going to pick up someof these, customise them a little and put them in bowls at the wedding as little ‘Hollywood’ style takeaways.  Also, most of them will be from our very lovely engagement trip, including Chateau Marmont where we celebrated our engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment